About Reuben Collins
Reuben B. Collins, II, a lifelong resident of Charles County, was raised in Bryans Road and is a product of the Charles County School System. Reuben earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from Fisk University in Nashville, Tenn. and earned his law degree from the District of Columbia School of Law.
Reuben is an Attorney at Law at R.B. Collins Law, LLC. He is licensed to practice law in Maryland, New Jersey, and the District of Columbia. He began his public service career as a community organizer in Washington, D.C. and has been active in community services for more than 30 years.
Reuben brings real-world experience as a former Charles County Commissioner. In 2006, Reuben was elected Charles County Commissioner, District 3. He won re-election in District 3 in 2010 and served as Vice President until 2014. During his tenure, Reuben's leadership was instrumental in the following:
- Acceleration growth of the Charles County, Maryland Sheriff Department while preserving savings to taxpayers from prior reforms and maintaining the best credit rating
- Partnership with local companies to provide jobs to local youth
- Street re-pavements and critical investments in transportation and other traffic-relieving transit
- Crafted a “Smart City Vision” to make Charles County, Maryland more responsive, such as by bringing dozens of permit processes online, and by launching My Charles County, Maryland, an easy-to-use app for city service requests
- Collaboration with non-profit partners to reduce veteran and chronic homelessness, including rehabilitation of deteriorating motels to low-cost apartments
Reuben is the author of Evolutionary Actuality, published in February 2013. He and his wife, Debborah, reside in Waldorf with their children.
- Board Member, Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments
- National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board
- Charles County Chamber of Commerce Transportation Committee
- Tri-County Council Veterans Regional Advisory Committee
- Southern Maryland Latino Council
- Past Board Member, Charles County Economic Development Commission
Community Organization Support
- Founder, Akoben Political Action Committee
- Board Member, United Way of Charles County
- Chief Counsel, The Working Men Associated Enterprises
- President and founder of the Black Leadership Council for Excellence
- Board Member, Kiwanis International (Waldorf club)
- Member, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Former Chief Attorney, NAACP, Charles County Branch